This recipe is the stuff of dreams. Oatmeal is something we used to eat every single morning when we were going through a vegetarian phase. Everything about oatmeal is comforting. The thick texture, the sweetness, the warmth that emanates from it, and the endless toppings that can alter the taste and texture. Unfortunately conventional oatmeal also spikes your blood sugar, can irritate the gut lining, provides many more carbohydrates than most people need in a day, and does not give the body lasting fuel. Well, we figured out how to get the same result without the gut irritating fiber load, massive carb count, and the confusing feeling of starving after you just ate.
Instead of using oats as the base, this recipe uses a lot of coconut. Full fat coconut milk is thickened with coconut flakes, a little nut butter, and egg. That gets the right texture, and the rest is all for taste. Pictured below is a version with cocoa powder, but this is optional.
- 8 ounces full fat coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon of nut butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- dash of cloves
- 10 drops liquid stevia (optional)
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- coconut flakes
- cacao nibs
- almond slivers
- coconut milk
- Heat the coconut milk over low heat until softly bubbling
- Add eggs and stir to integrate them into the milk as they cook. Stir for one minute.
- Add the coconut flakes, almonds, vanilla extract, nibs, optional cocoa powder and stevia, and spices. Stir until desired consistency is reached.
- Plate and pile on the toppings! Makes 2 servings or one large serving (pictured).
Macros (for entire recipe no toppings)
Total Carbs- 13.8- 6.9 fiber= 6.9 net carbs.
Theres the recipe for this week everyone. This is a great one to make on the weekend during the cold months…. enjoy. Leave any questions or comments below, and feel free to sign up for the newsletter link below to get recipes, videos, blog posts, health tips and musings, and coaching deals sent right to your inbox every Wellness Wednesday! Have a good week everyone.
-Beth and Elliot
Elliot Steele is a Primal Health Coach based in Chelan WA. He strives to empower those looking to regain their health after a lifetime of misinformed practices. This is the essence of Steele Back Your Health, to truly learn how to be healthy with sustainable habits. Check out the coaching and blog page for more info!