In our house, I do most if not all of the cooking (completely fine with me, it’s one of my favorite things to do). However my wife Beth routinely reminds me that when it comes time to make shepherds pie, her recipe reins supreme. She is usually the one to cook this, and has graced us with her recipe after my years of being in the dark as to what exactly goes into this….
The secret is the spice combination. You wouldn’t think to add sweet tasting spices like cinnamon to ground beef, but that’s exactly what makes this shepherds pie so incredible. The cinnamon combined with cloves and allspice give it a warm, almost sweet taste that is perfect for the chilly transition from Fall to Winter.
Usually shepherds pie has a thick coating of mashed potatoes on top, which is totally fine if you are looking to ingest more carbohydrates overall, or are trying to fuel an active day.
Beth and I follow a ketogenic diet, so we swapped out the mashed potatoes for some mashed cauliflower. The process for making this is simple. Get a head of cauliflower (about 3lbs) and chop it into small florets. Simply boil or steam the florets in a steamer basket until cooked through. Then, transfer to a food processor, add a couple tablespoons of butter,add salt and pepper to taste, and there you go.
- 1 medium diced onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup broth
- 1 heads worth of mashed cauliflower (2 or 3 cups will do)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Melt a tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat and saute onions until tranluscent, then add garlic and stir for 30 seconds
- Add the ground beef and cook most of the pink is gone.
- Add all spices, tomato paste, carrots, and peas, stir and cook for 1 minute
- Add broth and mix, bring to a simmer and let reduce for 10 minutes
- Transfer the mixture to a casserole dish and smooth the prepared mashed cauliflower over it, then layer on the cheese to cover the whole top
- Bake for 15-20 or until the cheese is golden and the mixture is bubbling
- Let cool for 10 minutes, and serve
I hope you all enjoy this recipe, it is certainly the time of year for it! The macros for a serving are listed below for an eighth of the recipe.
Carbohydrates- 2.3 total carbs
Protein- 28.5 g
Leave any question or comments below. Thanks for following along, and be sure to sign up for the newsletter to keep up with weekly recipes, videos, and health tips like this article!